Sunday, April 29, 2012

Apple Custard Cake

While I was rooting around my pantry cupboard looking for some pasta, I came across a tub of custard powder. It's been in there, unused, since Christmas time. It's not often we eat custard, so I started to consider what else I might use it for. A quick Google search offered much food for thought. From tarts to pies, I found plenty of inspiration!

After some consideration, I settled on an Apple and Custard Teacake recipe from a fellow blogger: http://tonicoward.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/apple-custard-teacake.html. It's an American blog, so the first thing I needed to do was to convert the recipe from cups, into grams. This reminded me that I really must buy myself some cups, so I can make American recipes more easily in future!




















Here's the ingredients in grams:

For the Cake:
150g butter
168g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
312g self-raising flour
300ml milk
3 apples, peeled cored and cut into 1cm pieces
1tbsp demerera sugar 
300ml custard (ingredients and recipe below) 

For the Custard:
2 Tbs custard powder
55g caster sugar
250g milk
20g butter
2 tsp vanilla

And here's how I did it, step-by-step:




1. Make the custard







2. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy






3. Whisk in the eggs (add a tbsp of flour, to prevent curdling)






4. Whisk until well combined






5. Spread half the cake mixture into a lined and greased 20cm square cake tin







(the remaining half of the cake mixture)







6. Spread the custard over the cake mixture






7.  Top with 2/3rds of the apple slices







8. Spread the remaining cake mix into the tin






9. Top with the remaining apple slices, and the Demerara sugar






10. Bake it in the oven for (in my case) 45 minutes. The recipe states 1.5 hours, but as you can see, mine was already a little crisp after just 45 mins!

No comments:

Post a Comment