Monday, April 16, 2012

Leftovers for Lunch: Chicken and Mushroom Puff Pastry Pie

So, David Cameron "loves a hot pasty", but has introduced VAT @ 20% on these warm lunchbox treats nonetheless. For some, this may be cause for concern, perhaps it may even be the nudge you needed to start considering home-made alternatives?

Inspired, I set out to test a recipe that's been on my to-do list for a while: Chicken and Mushroom Puff Pie, from BBC Good Food.

Rarely does this happen, but I actually followed this recipe pretty precisely, and it turned out great.

All I did differently was:

1. Add 2 chopped leeks I had in the fridge, sliced thinly, and added to the pan just after the onions. Remember, be careful with leeks - unlike onions they do not benefit from browning.

2. Instead of making one large pie suitable for 4, I split it in two, and made one pie suitable for 2, and two personal pasties for (you guessed it) lunch the next day.

The main pie we ate for supper and it was delicious, rich and flavoursome. Surprisingly it wasn't too heavy either.

The pasties however, were not such a great success. i took a bit of a risk here, hoping that the puff pastry would survive being reheated in the microwave. Sadly, it resulted in warm, soggy, deflated and slightly rubbery pastry.

If I made this recipe again (and I would like to), I would make my pie for two, as I did here, but thin down the remaining mixture to make a delicious soup instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment